ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY OF CANADA
PRINCE GEORGE CENTRE
7365 Tedford Road
Prince George, BC
2008 Annual General Meeting Minutes
October 25, 2008
Date: October 25, 2008
Location: PGAO 7365 Tedford Road
Chairperson: Gil Self
Recording Secretary: Glen Harris
Members present: 11
Guests present: 3
Meeting Called to Order at 7:35 pm
1. Previous Meeting Minutes
Minutes of October 27, 2007 AGM were circulated.
Motion: To accept 2007 AGM minutes as circulated. MSC
2. Treasurer’s Report
General Account Balance: $5531.22
Gaming Account Balance: $26.71
A detailed financial report is filed with minutes.
Motion to accept the treasurer’s report. MSC
3. Secretary’s Report
Approximately 1100 man-hours were logged for public events such as tours, lectures, open houses, special viewing events, and promotions last year. 1069 visitors passed through the observatory during that time period. Over 1000 man-hours were logged for work bees, special projects, meetings, member nights, and personal observing. Only 74 hours were logged for personal observing.
4. Committee Reports
Technical upgrades – The telescope has been upgraded to the point where it is now controlled by any number of planetary programs. Work continues on motorizing dome and slot movement. The computers have been upgraded to meet the demands of new programs and applications associated with telescope upgrades, meteor monitoring, live video streaming, and future projects. The All Sky Camera project is in the final testing phase and will be brought on line by the end of November. The flip mirror assembly was removed from the telescope and is being redesigned.
Newsletter – Brian could use more articles for the newsletter.
Building – Volunteers repaired the roof, and Prince Sheet Metal installed torch on roofing and a shallow peak.
5. New Business
- Efforts need to be taken to improve public awareness of the observatory. Various advertising means will be explored.
- With the improvements made to the telescope, it is now possible to bring Astronomy and other related sciences to an older audience.
- Budget for and encourage projects that will make use of the upgraded telescope.
- Become more involved in making Prince George a Dark Town through Dark Sky initiatives.
- Build on and improve our social programs. The observatory and equipment are underutilized for personal use.
- Become involved in the 2009 International Year of Astronomy.
- The projector needs to be repaired or replaced.
Annual Election results:
President: Gil Self
Vice President: Maurice Sluka
Secretary: Glen Harris
Treasurer: Brian Battersby
National Rep: Brian Battersby
Members at Large:
Jim Van Doren
Meeting adjourned at 8:55 pm