ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY OF CANADA
PRINCE GEORGE CENTRE
7365 Tedford Road
Prince George, BC
Executive Meeting Minutes
September 12, 2007
Date: September 12, 2007
Location: Arctic Manufacturing Ltd, 3323 Hart Hwy
Chairperson: Gil Self
Recording Secretary: Glen Harris
Executives Present: Gil, Greg, Glen, Bob, Maurice, Blair
Meeting Called to Order at 7:39 pm.
1. Previous Meeting Minutes
Minutes of May 9, 2007 meeting were circulated.
Motion to accept minutes as circulated. MSC
2. Treasurer’s Report
General account $4653.14 Gaming account $8062.92
A detailed treasurer’s report is filed with the printed minutes.
Various bills, invoices, and RASC Centre newsletters
4. Old Business
- The roof repair estimate has not yet been obtained. Admiral Roofing will give us a roofing quote when they aren’t quite so busy. No time frame was given.
- Planispheres are available for sale at the observatory. Per the Treasurer’s suggestion, if one is bought or sold, please attach a note to the cash or cheque indicating that the money is for a planisphere. The same goes for calendars and registrations.
- The dome has been fitted with new rollers and is operational again.
- The flip mirror operation problem is still under discussion.
- Attempts are still being made to get BC Hydro on board with our Dark Sky initiative. A decision will be made by mid October as to whether or not the presentation will be made this year.
- Until the gift shop cabinet has been constructed and installed, no additional products will be purchased.
- Armchair Astronomy instructors are in place. A contingency plan is being developed should the number of participants exceed 30.
- NOVA instructors are still required for segments 1, 6, 7, 8, and 10 per the website. As this is a credited UNBC course, we can use attendance, completing 50% of the Explore the Universe Certificate and maybe a mid-term and final exam for students to fulfill the requirements. At the meeting it was also suggested that students could demonstrate their ability to find a couple of objects (their choice) with one of the club telescopes.
4. Old Business (continued)
- Gaming funds must be spent and the new gaming proposal submitted by the end of October.
- 2008 calendars are at SpeeDee’s. Please pick up your preordered copies there.
- End of month social events will continue to replace the general meetings. The next social event will be on September 29th.
5. New Business
- Gil will arrange for a UNBC guest speaker to attend the social in November.
- Pinch rollers and worm gear configuration as a means to rotate the dome has been proposed. Funds of up to $1000 have been allocated.
- There was a discussion about inviting politicians to a tour of the observatory.
- The next executive meeting will be held at Maurice’s office, Room 230 – 177 Victoria Street on October 10th. Let Maurice know via email if you’re going to attend, and gather at the front door by 7:20 pm as access to the building is restricted.
- AGM is on October 31st at the observatory.
Meeting adjourned at 9:05 pm