Prince George Citizen. September 27, 2007
Title: Prince George Symphony Orchestra takes you to the ‘Fianal Frontier’
Overview: Write up on the joint presentation between the PG Symphony Orchestra and PG Centre of “The Planets” by Holst and “Solaris” by Estacio.
ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY OF CANADA
PRINCE GEORGE CENTRE
7365 Tedford Road
Prince George, BC
Executive Meeting Minutes
September 12, 2007
Date: September 12, 2007
Location: Arctic Manufacturing Ltd, 3323 Hart Hwy
Chairperson: Gil Self
Recording Secretary: Glen Harris
Executives Present: Gil, Greg, Glen, Bob, Maurice, Blair
Meeting Called to Order at 7:39 pm.
1. Previous Meeting Minutes
Minutes of May 9, 2007 meeting were circulated.
Motion to accept minutes as circulated. MSC
2. Treasurer’s Report
General account $4653.14 Gaming account $8062.92
A detailed treasurer’s report is filed with the printed minutes.
Various bills, invoices, and RASC Centre newsletters
4. Old Business
- The roof repair estimate has not yet been obtained. Admiral Roofing will give us a roofing quote when they aren’t quite so busy. No time frame was given.
- Planispheres are available for sale at the observatory. Per the Treasurer’s suggestion, if one is bought or sold, please attach a note to the cash or cheque indicating that the money is for a planisphere. The same goes for calendars and registrations.
- The dome has been fitted with new rollers and is operational again.
- The flip mirror operation problem is still under discussion.
- Attempts are still being made to get BC Hydro on board with our Dark Sky initiative. A decision will be made by mid October as to whether or not the presentation will be made this year.
- Until the gift shop cabinet has been constructed and installed, no additional products will be purchased.
- Armchair Astronomy instructors are in place. A contingency plan is being developed should the number of participants exceed 30.
- NOVA instructors are still required for segments 1, 6, 7, 8, and 10 per the website. As this is a credited UNBC course, we can use attendance, completing 50% of the Explore the Universe Certificate and maybe a mid-term and final exam for students to fulfill the requirements. At the meeting it was also suggested that students could demonstrate their ability to find a couple of objects (their choice) with one of the club telescopes.
4. Old Business (continued)
- Gaming funds must be spent and the new gaming proposal submitted by the end of October.
- 2008 calendars are at SpeeDee’s. Please pick up your preordered copies there.
- End of month social events will continue to replace the general meetings. The next social event will be on September 29th.
5. New Business
- Gil will arrange for a UNBC guest speaker to attend the social in November.
- Pinch rollers and worm gear configuration as a means to rotate the dome has been proposed. Funds of up to $1000 have been allocated.
- There was a discussion about inviting politicians to a tour of the observatory.
- The next executive meeting will be held at Maurice’s office, Room 230 – 177 Victoria Street on October 10th. Let Maurice know via email if you’re going to attend, and gather at the front door by 7:20 pm as access to the building is restricted.
- AGM is on October 31st at the observatory.
Meeting adjourned at 9:05 pm