Monthly Archives: May 2004

2004-05-26

ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY OF CANADA
PRINCE GEORGE CENTRE
7365 Tedford Road
Prince George, BC
V2N 6S2

General Meeting Minutes

Date: May 26, 2004
Location: PGAO 7365 Tedford Road
Chairperson: Gil Self
Recording Secretary: Glen Harris
Executives Present: Glen, Rod, Gil
Members Present: John, Maurice, Wayne, Gerhard, Bob
Meeting called to order at 7:38 p.m.
1. Previous Meeting Minutes
No minutes were circulated
2. Treasurer’s Report:
As of May 26, 2004
Club Account
Total Income $3561.55
Total Expenses $3361.77
Total Income/Expenses $199.78
Total Net Worth $2990.17
Gaming Account
Total Income $1261.03
otal Expenses $1956.31
Total Income/Expenses ($695.28)
Total Net Worth $3866.71
Motion to accept the Treasurer’s report as presented.
Moved: Glen Seconded: Wayne Carried
3. Correspondence
BCHydro bill, PG Fall and Winter Leisure guide info, RASC Vancouver Centre newsletter.
4. Old Business
None
5. New Business

  • Motion from Maurice: To advertise the Centre in the 2004 Fall/Winter Leisure and Education Guide with a paid advertising space of up to ½ page in size.
  • Moved: Gil Seconded: Bob Carried
  • Proxy forms for the General Assembly were circulated, filled out and given to Gil, who will determine who will be designated as proxy if no one from this centre attends the General Assembly.
  • Bob and Gil will prepare and submit the next gaming grant.
  • The group came up with a lengthy wish list for the next 5 years, purchases contingent of course on the acquisition of appropriate funding. The list will be modified pending further in depth discussions.

5. New Business (continued)
Short term (1 Year)
Prepay utilities $2000
Completion of the warm room $300
Filing cabinet, replace snow shovels $150
Purchase 30 additional chairs $30 (in progress)
Dome and shutter automation $300
Set of 1 ¼” eyepieces $150
Medium term (2 years)
ST-9 CCD camera $3000
Filter wheel $1000
Site improvements $500
Dome exhaust $1000
Library enhancements (literature) $1000
12” Dobsonian telescope $1000
Long term (3-5 years)
Observatory roof repair/replacement $3000
Classroom composite floor tile $2000
Computer upgrades $3000
Software upgrades $1000
Enlarge/pave parking lot $???
Furnishings (Murphy/hide abed) $???
Classroom improvements (shelving etc) $???
Well/Lagoon/Chemical-electrical toilet $???
Elevated viewing platform (roof area) $???
Coronado Solar telescope $???
Volunteers for July Events
July 1 Bob, Gil, Rod (Canada Day at Fort George Park)
Solar viewing sessions will be held on two July Saturdays at Parkwood Place. Weather will be a deciding factor.
Volunteers for August Events
Open Houses
August 6 Wayne
August 13 Gil
August 20 Glen
August 27
Member’s Nights
August 7 Rod
August 14
August 21 Glen
August 28 Maurice
6. Upcoming Events
May 29 Windup potluck BBQ at the Observatory. Building opens at 6:00 p.m. Potluck to follow at 7:00 p.m. Barbeques, plates, cups, and utensils will be provided, please bring whatever items you want to cook, and a potluck side dish.
July 1 Canada Day at Fort George Park. Set up on the grass between the museum and the miniature railway. Solar as well as evening viewing.
August 25 Astronomy in the Park. Location is the band shell at 7:00 p.m.
Meeting adjourned at 9:35 p.m.
7. Presentation
Wayne gave a quick overview on the operation of several power po

2004-05-12

ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY OF CANADA
PRINCE GEORGE CENTRE
7365 Tedford Road
Prince George, BC
V2N 6S2

Executive Meeting Minutes
May 12, 2004

Date: May 12, 2004
Location: #30-1839 1st Avenue, Prince George
Chairperson: Brian Battersby
Recording Secretary: Glen Harris
Executives Present: Glen, Gil, Brian
Members Present: Maurice, Wayne, Bob
Time Meeting Called to Order at 7:38 p.m.
1. Previous Meeting Minutes
No minutes were circulated.
2. Treasurer’s Report
No report.
3. Correspondence
Terasen statement, Centre and Events Services-UNBC, RASC Montreal, Calgary newsletters, RASC Saskatoon SSSP flyers, IDSA Renewal notice.
4. General Business

  • It was suggested that the pop and chips could be augmented with chocolate bars, seeing that sales of the existing choices are steady.
  • The main scope Newtonian modification and drive upgrade are to be completed by the end of June, tested and tweaked by the end of July.
  • Bob stated that he has access to a milling machine at CNC, and the instructor is looking for projects to assign to his students. Two suggestions put forward were a smaller telescope control box, and a mount for the laser pointer.
  • $1500 has been allocated for the purchase of a 2” 2X Barlow and 2 – 2” eyepieces (Brian), a motorized focuser for the main scope Newtonian (Bob), and 5-6 low profile switches for a new scope control box (Wayne). Gil is going to look into the cost of a Go To fork mount for the black Celestron. Costs and availability of these items are to be sent out to the rest of the executive by Sunday, and the final OK to purchase will be handled via email. In the event that all of the $2500 or so can’t be spent by the deadline, it was suggested that the remainder be allocated to operating expenses.
  • There was a lengthy discussion on an air exchange system for the dome, and although many interesting ideas were put forth, some of them rivaling what NASA might come up with, it was decided to table the topic. A consensus on how to cool the main scope mirror was reached, and the project will be done in conjunction with the scope modification.

Meeting adjourned at 10:05 p.m.