ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY OF CANADA
PRINCE GEORGE CENTRE
7365 Tedford Road
Prince George, BC
Executive Meeting Minutes
October 11, 2006
Date: October 11, 2006
Location: Arctic Manufacturing Ltd, 3323 Hart Hwy
Chairperson: Gil Self
Recording Secretary: Glen Harris
Executives Present: Gil, Maurice, Jim Arnold, Wayne, Glen, Bob
Member Present: Blair, Faye
Meeting Called to Order at 7:30 p.m.
1. Previous Meeting Minutes
Minutes of September 13, 2006 meeting were circulated.
Motion: Accept the minutes as distributed.
Moved: Gil Seconded: Maurice Carried
2. Treasurer’s Report
General Account Balance: $4677
Gaming Account Balance: $3072
Motion: To accept the Treasurer’s report as presented.
Moved: Wayne Seconded: Carried
Telus statement, SpeeDee invoices, Ministry of Finance Society Annual Report Reminder, UNBC correspondence, Bank statements, PCO invoice, RASC cheque
4. Old Business
- Telescope drive upgrade – December time frame for the installation of worm and gear. Bob will email out a list of tools required to do the job. Manpower requirements will be worked out prior to holding the work bee.
- 4 Shooter upgrade tabled indefinitely.
- The snowplowing issue has not been fully resolved yet, although Wayne has applied for a ‘Snow Board’ from YRB. When the snowboard is displayed, YRB will plow the driveway at their convenience, and at a cost. Jim is going to look for a small yard tractor with snowblower attachment.
4. Old Business (continued)
- After Maurice is reimbursed for the insurance costs, the remaining gaming funds will be allocated to prepaying the utilities.
- The Gaming request for $30,000 has been finalized in principle. If and when the funds are forthcoming, decisions will be made on what will be purchased from the detailed list that includes:
- Declination upgrade/software
- Motorize dome
- Video camera
- Remodel classroom
- Second digital projector
- Prepay one year’s utilities and insurance
- Meade LX90 with UHTC coatings
- 12″ Dobsonian
- Outdoor upgrades
- Celestron Sky Scout
- SBIG ST9 CCD camera and filter wheel
- Bob presented an impressive business case for purchasing an ST9 CCD camera and filter wheel. Support for his case came from Dr E.F. Milone, Faculty Professor at the University of Calgary, and Orla Aaquist, President of the RASC Edmonton Centre. Their letters of support are attached to the printed and filed executive minutes.
- The carpenter ant problem has been resolved.
- The tools have been purchased.
5. New Business
- Once the 24″ scope is upgraded and demand for it’s use increases, the tour and events director will handle scheduling. First priority will be given to open houses, member’s nights, and scheduled tours.
- The privacy statement provided by Blair will be posted to the website. To ensure privacy is maintained, all email broadcast messages to the general membership are to be Bcc’d.
- Approval was given to purchase a water tank level monitor. Approximate cost is $160.
- Motion: Purchase a copy of Quicken to be installed on the treasurer’s laptop. Approximate cost is $100.
- Moved: Gil Seconded: Jim Carried
- Thanks to efforts by Blair, BC Bearings donated $1887 worth of bearings to replace those associated with the dome rotation. Glen will send out a thank you letter.
- Bylaw wording to change the term of officers to 2 years is being worked out and will be voted on at the AGM.
- Also to be voted on at the AGM is that quorum requirements be changed to 4 executive members, 3 of which will be a combination of President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer.
- Blair and Wayne will be offering the public an opportunity to observe the transit of Mercury. The observatory will be open during the day on November 8th. As no funds were allocated for this event, free advertising will be sought through CBC, and Paul Strickland at the Citizen.
Present staffing for upcoming tours is:
Oct. 18th: 8 cubs 7:00 to 8:00pm confirmed
Wayne & Glen Mr. Denis Marks 582-1680
Oct. 26th: 19 disabled students 8:00 to 9:00pm not confirmed
Require a prime, Bob Jane LaFleur 563-4767 firstname.lastname@example.org
Nov. 8th: Beavers 7:30 to 8:30pm not confirmed
Wayne & Blair
Nov 15th: 13th Carney Hill cub group 7:00 to 8:00pm not confirmed
Blair, require an assistant Ralf Gloger email@example.com
Nov 21st: 25 Beavers and parents 7:00 to 8:00pm not confirmed
Wayne & Blair Andrea Simmons (962-6812)
Nov. 22nd: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints 8 male teenagers
7:00 to 8:00pm not confirmed
Bob, require an assistant Ryan James firstname.lastname@example.org
Meeting adjourned at 9:45 pm