PRINCE GEORGE CHAPTER
7765 Tedford Road
Prince George, BC
October 31, 2001 General Meeting Minutes
Meeting held at McCLOUD 9 EATERY Basement 1393 W. Central
Members Present: Gil Self, Brian Battersby, Gerhard Bierman, Peter and Judy Wyper, Glen Harris, Rod Herd, Doug Wayland, Art Beaumont
Chairperson: Brian Battersby
Recording Secretary: Glen Harris
Meeting called to order at 7:40 pm
Minutes from Sept. 26th, 2001 meeting were circulated.
Motion to accept minutes as circulated. Moved by Glen. Seconded by Gil. Carried.
- Handouts of several October RASC e-mails were distributed.
- Mark Kaye, RASC guest speaker, will be in PG on Friday February 15th. His topic will be either “Three Decades of Observing” or “How to Make Looking up Easier”. This will be a special meeting held in a lecture hall at UNBC (thanks to KANE for arranging), and will be open to the public. There will be a request for donations at the door to cover the expense of renting the hall. Billeting and transportation are required for MARK. If you can help, contact Brian at 564-4789 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Regional District of Fraser Fort George (RDFFG) has sent notice of a Rezoning Application Hearing to be held on Nov 15th, 2001 at the Columbus Community Center 7201 Domano Blvd. This hearing concerns the rezoning of a section of land abutting the PGAS observatory site to 4-acre lots.
- Sept 30th, 2001 statement available on request.
- Cash (estimate) $150.00
- Regular Account $894.46
- Gaming Account $29.5
- Motion to accept treasurer’s report. Moved by Gil. Seconded by Peter. Carried.
- – Locks have been bought and installed on the classroom lockers. Thanks to ART for the monetary donation.
- Videocassette: Your Guide to the Celestial Sphere Video is still on backorder.
- Sept 30th Work Bee accomplished the following tasks:
- Parking lot fencing.
- Winterizing the warm room.
- Clean up of the small rooms.
- Repairing the roof turbine vent.
- Astronomy newspaper articles tabled to next meeting.
- Removal of the old Tabor Mountain observatory was brought up again. This issue was retabled.
- We welcome ROD HERD to the club.
- Work Bee Sunday Nov 4th at 1:00 pm to balance 24” scope and install print drivers on the dome computer.
- Tours have been arranged for Nov 2nd, 7th, 8th, and 21st. Phone or e-mail BRIAN if you are volunteering.
- Public Open House Saturday Nov 17th for the Leonid Meteor Shower.
- Pot Luck Christmas party on Wednesday Dec. 12th from 6pm –9pm at the observatory. Bring hot items in small non-metallic containers so that the food can be reheated in the microwave.
- There is a new Messier Hunt spreadsheet on the warm room wall. There is lots of room on the spreadsheet for new observers!
- ART to arrange for a load of gravel from YRB to finish off the holding tank area. A thank you note will be sent to YRB as soon as possible after the gravel has been delivered.
- Canfor is owed $56 for the parking lot posts they provided. No motion was presented to authorize the payment, but payment will be made regardless.
- Messier Marathon March 16th, 2002 at 6pm. Location to be finalized.
- $200 grants request was submitted to TELUS.
- Explore the Universe Observation Certificate criterion was explained.
- Astronomy projects handout was distributed. Thanks to KANE for compiling.
Constellation of the Month:
GIL presented ORION as the constellation of the month. Included in his presentation were apparent magnitude and temperatures of stars. He also showed images of some of the different objects that can be found in ORION.
Meeting was adjourned at 9:30 pm.