ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY OF CANADA
PRINCE GEORGE CENTRE
7365 Tedford Road
Prince George, BC
Business Meeting Minutes
March 11, 2009
Date: March 11, 2009
Location: 490 Brunswick St
Chairperson: Maurice Sluka
Recording Secretary: Glen Harris
Executives Present: Glen, Maurice, Brian, Wayne, Bob
Members Present: Robert W
Meeting Called to Order at 7:40 pm.
1. Previous Meeting Minutes
Minutes of February 11 meeting were circulated.
Motion to accept minutes as circulated. MSC
2. Treasurer’s Report
Club Account: $5850.67
Motion to accept treasurer’s report as circulated. Moved: Wayne Seconded: Maurice Carried
Details on file
3. Correspondence, Secretary’s Report
Various bills, statements, and Centre newsletters. Letter from Barton Insurance regarding alarm system option.
4. Old Business
- Gaming funds for 2009 have been deposited. The 2010 installment will be available next February.
- Centre activities have been entered on the IYA site.
- Bob will check with the DAO in Victoria to see if they will recoat the secondary mirror during the summer viewing break. (As of March 12, Bob had sent an email to Jim Hesser of the DAO)
- Trevor has been given keys to the observatory.
- IYA Sept 11 lecture at UNBC reservations are complete. The UNBC Physics department will share in the cost of hall and equipment rental.
- Dark Sky and IYA material for the Recreation Market was prepared. Unused material will be given to the PG Public Library for their IYA and Dark Sky displays.
- A chartered accountant is preparing the charity tax return. Ken has donated his time to perform this important function. Thank you, Ken.
- Maurice will contact the insurance company and sort out the confusion with the alarm system issue.
- The Recreation Market booth personnel fielded questions from about 160 people.
5. New Business
- Booking/rebooking of tours outside the posted schedule will require the tour host taking full responsibility for communication with the tour group and coordinating additional tour help. The events/tour director is to be kept apprised of any scheduling changes.
- Motion: Approve in principle the purchase of Carl Sagan’s Cosmos series on DVD. ~$100
Moved: Brian Seconded: Glen Carried
Caveat: Once the appropriate spending proposal paper work has been received, the purchase will take place.
- Al H and Bob will do a building and grounds risk assessment. A report is expected for the next meeting.
- Dome flange estimate costs:
Flange: $1200 – $1600
Crane lifts, transportation: $1800 – $2000
Rob is going to make inquiries around town to see if the fabrication can be done locally. A report may be available before the next meeting.
- Discussion about making executive email addresses visible in any bulk mailings to the general membership. Most regular members have no idea how to get in touch with the executive, even though there is a ‘Contact Us’ area on the website.
- The next business meeting will be held on April 8, 2009. Location TBA.