ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY OF CANADA
PRINCE GEORGE CENTRE
7365 Tedford Road
Prince George, BC
Business Meeting Minutes
February 11, 2009
Date: February 11, 2009
Location: 490 Brunswick
Chairperson: Gil Self
Recording Secretary: Glen Harris
Executives Present: Glen, Maurice, Gil, Brian, Wayne, Bob
Members Present: Rusty
Meeting Called to Order at 7:35 pm.
1. Previous Meeting Minutes
Minutes of January 14 meeting were circulated.
Motion to accept minutes as circulated. MSC
2. Treasurer’s Report
Club Account: $5421.69
Motion to accept treasurer’s report as circulated. MSC
Details on file
3. Correspondence, Secretary’s Report
Various bills, statements, and Centre newsletters
4. Old Business
- No word yet on gaming funds
- Repairs to the dome were made at the conclusion of the first NOVA class on Jan 17.
- Maurice is still trying to obtain a hard copy of the RASC liability policy.
- The lecture at UNBC will be held on September 11. Maurice will finalize the lecture hall and equipment arrangements.
- Dark Sky material has been accumulated for the March 7, 8 Recreation Market. Booth staffing is in place.
5. New Business
- Tour bookings will be handled differently. Applicants will be required to visit the RASC PG Centre website, fill out a form and fax it to the tour director. Maximum number of tours per month will be three, only one tour will be held per week, and will be held on different days of each week. Staffing of one primary and minimum of one secondary volunteer will be dedicated to the applicable days ahead of time based on the volunteers’ preference to day of the week. Tour groups may be combined to accommodate demand, keeping in mind the age group. Maximum tour size will be limited to 50 persons. The web site will be kept updated with the most current booking status.
5. New Business (continued)
- The dome slot motor was installed, tested, and put into service.
- Dessert pot luck/social scheduled for February 24th will be replaced with a sidewalk astronomy event.
- Rusty Hoff was given keys to the observatory and gate.
- Door signage and brochures will be updated to reflect the change in Open Houses to the first Friday of the month. The change has already been advertised in the Citizen.
- Sidewalk Astronomy location will be in the Pine Centre mall parking lot between Starbucks and the government liquor store.
- IYA promotional material will be used at the Recreation Market and then given to the library for them to rotate through their various libraries.
- Motion: Renew Evan Williams’ membership ($71) in recognition of him hosting the centre website. Moved: Gil Second: Bob Carried
- Motion: At the treasurer’s discretion, have an accountant prepare the charity tax return.
- Moved: Gil Second: Maurice Carried
- Bob will check with the DAO in Victoria to see if they will recoat the secondary mirror during the summer viewing break.
- Bob will be reinstalling the flip mirror assembly during the summer break with completion prior to the Perseid meteor shower / observatory reopening on August 11th.
- Gil will contact Kim Breeland to arrange registration of the RASC PG Centre IYA event dates.
- The next business meeting will be held on March 11, 2009. Location TBA.
Meeting adjourned at 10:15 pm