ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY OF CANADA
PRINCE GEORGE CENTRE
7365 Tedford Road
Prince George, BC
Business Meeting Minutes
November 12, 2008
Date: Nov 12, 2008
Location: 3233 Hart Highway
Chairperson: Gil Self
Recording Secretary: Glen Harris
Executives Present: Glen, Maurice, Gil, Brian, Blair
Members Present: John A., Fae
Meeting Called to Order at 7:35 pm.
1. Previous Meeting Minutes
Minutes of October 8, 2008 meeting were circulated.
Motion to accept minutes as circulated. MSC
2. Treasurer’s Report
Club Account: $5674.97
Details on file
3. Correspondence, Secretary’ Report
Various bills, statements, and Centre newsletters
The RASC fee collection form has been filled out and faxed.
The 2008 Society Annual Report has been filled out and sent in to the Ministry of Finance
4. Old Business
- The dome rotation motor project has been put on hold until the dome flange has been replaced. Approximate cost of flange replacement will be in the $1600 to $2000 range. The slot motor project will still proceed.
- The AllSky camera will be installed by the end of the month.
- Gil reviewed the gaming proposal with the executive and will be sending it off before the end of the month.
5. New Business
- Reinitiate the observer’s list. All members expressing interest in knowing when a key holder will be doing personal observing at the observatory will be notified by email.
- An initial discussion regarding mileage compensation was held but no consensus was reached.
- Fewer open houses will be held in the spring. Tentative plans are to have one open house a month at the observatory, and one session at a public place, locations to be determined two weeks in advance and advertised.
5. New Business (cont’d)
- Job jar items:
- Rewire the classroom light switches
- Install a laser pointer on the 24″ scope
- Install an observation deck light on the south end of the building to aid in cleaning up at the end of the night
- Brian was given a mailbox key
- Blair was appointed to the position of Tour coordinator
- Dark Sky initiative will require a city councilor getting on board with our Dark Sky objectives
- Member social nights will feature a potluck dessert
- Christmas Potluck dinner will be held on Saturday, November 29 and will start at 6 pm
- NOVA classes start on January 17, 2009
The next business meeting will be held at Arctic Manufacturing 3233 Hart Hwy on January 14, 2009 @ 7:30 pm
Meeting adjourned at 9:10 pm