ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY OF CANADA
PRINCE GEORGE CENTRE
7365 Tedford Road
Prince George, BC
Business Meeting Minutes
September 10, 2008
Date: September 10, 2008
Location: 3233 Hart Hwy
Chairperson: Gil Self
Recording Secretary: Glen Harris
Executives Present: Gil, Glen, Bob, Maurice, Brian B., Jim T., Blair
Members Present: Jim Van Doren
Meeting Called to Order at 7:32 pm.
1. Previous Meeting Minutes
Minutes of May 14, 2008 meeting were circulated.
Motion to accept minutes as circulated. MSC
2. Treasurer’s Report
Club Account: $5470.49
Gaming Account: $3648.71
Details on file.
Various bills, statements, and Centre newsletters
4. Old Business
- Telescope upgrade – Upgrades are complete, and the telescope balanced, collimated and repainted blue. The telescope is now controlled by any number of planetarium programs. The flip mirror assembly has been removed to enable a complete rework of the assembly. The 4″ finder adjustment has been updated. The axis tube has been completely rewired and in-house communication wiring enhanced.
- A newer computer to control the telescope has been brought on line.
- Dome upgrade – The dome has been leveled, flange straightened out, but not heated and dollied. Very near completion is motorizing dome rotation. The next project will be to motorize the upper slot.
- Roof – The roof has been repaired.
- Railings have been installed along the sidewalk.
- A work bee was organized to clean up all the accumulated clutter both inside and outside the building
5. New Business
- CD sales at the 2008 Saskatchewan Star Party were brisk. 28 were sold.
- Drain the gaming account by paying the insurance premium and prepaying all utilities.
5. New Business (continued)
- The ST-6 drivers have been updated and camera operation confirmed.
- Motion: Authorize the purchase of a hand dolly to move the dobsonian telescopes back and forth from the viewing deck – $60 MSC
- Motion: Authorize the purchase of 2 red dot finders for the 2 dobsonian telescopes – $50 MSC
- Motion: Authorize the purchase of an All Sky Camera, software, and video capture card – $300 MSC
- Motion: Authorize the purchase of an upper slot motor and associated hardware – $200 MSC
- Motion: Authorize the purchase of 2 loads of gravel for the viewing deck and low spots in the parking lot and driveway – $300 MSC
- The holding tank has been pumped out
- Jim Toews with the help of others will take over the flip mirror project
- Gaming application to be completed by mid October.
- Items to be included are:
- SBIG ST-10XME CCD camera for photometry and photography.
- Scientific filters and filter wheel
- Low light camera for video streaming to the classroom and internet.
- New aluminum truss for the 24″ scope
- Replace all floor coverings with industrial strength linoleum
- Reinforce the dome flange
- Expand the parking lot
The next business meeting will be held at Maurice’s office 230-177 Victoria St. 7:30 pm
Meeting adjourned at 9:35 pm