ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY OF CANADA
PRINCE GEORGE CENTRE
7365 Tedford Road
Prince George, BC
Business Meeting Minutes
May 14, 2008
Date: May 14, 2008
Location: 3233 Hart Hwy
Chairperson: Gil Self
Recording Secretary: Glen Harris
Executives Present: Gil, Glen, Bob, Maurice, Brian B., Jim T., Blair
Members Present: Wayne
Meeting Called to Order at 7:30 pm.
1. Previous Meeting Minutes
Minutes of April 8, 2008 meeting were circulated.
Motion to accept minutes as circulated. MSC
2. Treasurer’s Report
Club Account: $7381.96
Gaming Account: $7561.56
Details on file.
Various bills, statements, and Centre newsletters
4. Old Business
- Telescope upgrade – the controller board has arrived. Bob has fabricated the declination brackets, and will be working on the RA bracket. The scope will be taken out of service on June 1st, at which time installation of the new drive assemblies will be installed. At the end of June, the flip mirror assembly will be removed for modification, the original Cassegrain assembly will be reinstalled, and the optics aligned. Testing of the new drives and software will be conducted over the summer, with the expectation that the telescope will be fully operational by the middle of August.
- Dome upgrade – no progress, waiting for donation of steel.
- Roof – Tentative scheduling for removal of, and repair of the roof is between June 17 and 21, with the contractor coming on June 23. Volunteers will be needed for the removal and repair functions.
- Year end BBQ to be held on Saturday, May 31st. Start time is 6 PM
5. New Business
- Free delivery of gravel for the driveway and viewing deck has been arranged. All we need now is free gravel. Stay tuned for developments.
- Wayne’s teaching CD has been reviewed by Brian B. and is ready for sale to the public. Cost per CD is $5.
5. New Business (continued)
- Open House dates have been revised for the next viewing season. The observatory will be open from the Perseid Meteor shower in mid August to mid November, and from mid February to the end of April. The new season will kick off with a mini Star Party on Aug 15-16.
- Motion: Reimburse Brian for all applicable costs to attend the 2008 RASC General Assembly in Toronto at the end of June. MSC
- Motion: Make all reasonable efforts to fund trips by the PG Centre National Representative to future GAs. MSC
- Replace the bulbs in the Exit signs.
- Level the dome
- Remove all unnecessary materials from the basement, storage rooms, and classroom.
Meeting adjourned at 9:18 pm