ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY OF CANADA
PRINCE GEORGE CENTRE
7365 Tedford Road
Prince George, BC
Business Meeting Minutes
October 10, 2007
Date: October 10, 2007
Location: 230-177 Victoria Street
Chairperson: Gil Self
Recording Secretary: Glen Harris
Executives Present: Gil, Glen, Bob, Maurice
Meeting Called to Order at 7:40 pm.
1. Previous Meeting Minutes
Minutes of September 12, 2007 meeting were circulated.
Motion to accept minutes as circulated. MSC
2. Treasurer’s Report
General account $3183.70 Gaming account $8055.42
A detailed treasurer’s report is filed with the printed minutes.
Various bills, invoices, and RASC Centre newsletters
4. Old Business
- The roof repair estimate has not yet been obtained. Prince Sheet Metal will give us a roofing quote next week. Neither Prince Sheet Metal nor Admiral Roofing would be able to do the work before Spring 2008.
- The flip mirror operation will be done manually for the immediate future.
- Blair will be contacting CC Industries next week for a progress report on the truss system.A small amount of milling work on the declination motor drive plate remains to be done.
- The Dark Sky initiative has been shelved until next year.
- Armchair Astronomy and NOVA have been cancelled due to poor enrollment numbers. NOVA will be reintroduced in January at a cost of $94 with no UNBC involvement.
- Motion: Renew membership in International Dark Sky Association for a 2-year period ( ~$100). MSC
- Blair is still working on dome rotation. It was decided that the dome wouldn’t be tied to telescope movement.
5. New Business
- Lane Logan will be giving a talk on Dark Sky and electrical lighting on Nov 24th.
- Two more weekend burning sessions should see all the slash piles gone.
- Parking lot expansion: Blair is currently waiting for equipment from one logging contractor to move back into the Blackwater area. He is also looking into another contractor working in the area.
5. New Business (continued)
- About a dozen surveys have been returned. It is hoped that some suggestions are forthcoming that we can use to improve the operation of and participation in the club.
- Dome flange irregularities are holding up design of the floating drive clamp mechanism design. To date, no materials for this project have been purchased.
- Because the roof can’t be repaired until next spring at the earliest, grant spending priorities have changed. The present grant must be spent, and the new grant proposal submitted by Nov 30th. Preliminary discussion came up with the following proposal.
- Prepay utilities for 1 year $3000
- Scope drive control board $1000
- Lowlight camera $500
- ST9 CCD camera $3000
- Dome rotation hardware $500
- Firmer figures are required for discussion and a final decision at the AGM. Purchase of the CCD camera is contingent on the flip mirror assembly working properly first, either electrically or mechanically.
- There was discussion on mounting the orange Celestron scope to the main scope and equipping it with a sensitive low light camera. When coupled with the existing B/W TV monitor in the dome, this would act as a finder scope for the Newtonian as well as providing a means to simultaneously send Celestron images to the classroom. Some type of video splitter technology would be required.
- Executive meeting will be renamed ‘Business’ or ‘Planning’ meeting and announced on the events calendar as an inducement for regular members to attend.
- More information and suggestions are required before a help sheet for new open house assistants can be typed up.
Meeting adjourned at 9:45 pm