ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY OF CANADA
PRINCE GEORGE CENTRE
7365 Tedford Road
Prince George, BC
Executive Meeting Minutes
March 14, 2007
Date: March 14, 2007
Location: Arctic Manufacturing Ltd, 3323 Hart Hwy
Chairperson: Gil Self
Recording Secretary: Glen Harris
Executives Present: Gil, Blair, Glen, Bob, Maurice
Member Present: Jim Van Doren
Meeting Called to Order at 7:38 pm.
1. Previous Meeting Minutes
Minutes of February 21, 2007 meeting were circulated.
Motion to accept minutes as corrected. MSC
2. Treasurer’s Report
General account $5085.63 Gaming account $8081.67
Motion to accept the treasurer’s report. MSC
Detailed financial report filed with the minutes.
Bob will submit the Charities Income Tax return before the deadline of March 31, 2007
4. Old Business
- The scope has been reassembled and is functional, but there is a problem with stiffness in Declination movement. Major adjustments can be made with the hand crank, minor adjustments are still possible in slow speed hand paddle mode. The newly formed ‘Telescope upgrade and maintenance committee’ comprised of Blair, Bob, and Jim Van Doren will be looking into the problem on Saturday, March 17th, and determining a solution. Their efforts will be ongoing to modernize the drives, enable the scope to have go-to capabilities, and replace the dome bearing assemblies. Other improvements will be made, as need dictates.
5. New Business
- Maurice will obtain a detailed estimate on roof repairs. This issue has been given a financial priority and must be addressed soon, because the discovery of carpenter ants in the ceiling last summer indicate the presence of moisture, and roof joist strength may have been compromised. “Emergency power to Structural Integrity!” ordered Kathryn Janeway, as Voyager entered the void. “Aye Captain”, Ensign Kim responded, as worm hole denizens attacked the stricken starship.
5. New Business (continued)
- Orkin destroyed the ant colony last September. The flat roof’s ventilation must be improved, as there is none at the moment.
- Because roof repairs have been given a high priority, improvements to, or expanding of the parking lot will only be done if there is no cost involved.
- Brian sent out an email request for volunteers for the Recreation Market, Open Houses, and Member’s Nights.
- 2007 Calendars will be sold at cost, whatever that was when they were originally purchased.
- As the amount of Direct Access Program Grant funds received was less than anticipated, other sources of revenue will be pursued. One possibility was the Chamber of Commerce, something that Bob may subtly suggest when he gives the Chamber a presentation in the near future.
Meeting adjourned at 9:35 pm