PRINCE GEORGE CENTRE
7365 Tedford Road
Prince George, BC
Executive Meeting Minutes
January 12, 2005
Date: January 12, 2005
Location: 490 Brunswick, St.
Chairperson: Brian Battersby
Recording Secretary: Glen Harris
Executives Present: Brian, Robin, Maurice, Wayne, Glen, Bob, John
Members Present: Connie
Meeting Called to Order at 7:39 p.m.
1. Previous Meeting Minutes
Meeting minutes from November 10, 2004 were circulated
Motion to accept minutes as circulated by: Glen Seconded by: Maurice
2. Treasurer’s Report
Club Account Gaming Account
Total Assets $2151.77 Total Assets $96.51
Total Liabilities $0.00 Total Liabilities $0.00
Total Assets/Liabilities $2151.77 Total Assets/Liabilities $96.51
TELUS bill, RBC statement, Property Assessment notice, post card from Doug, cheque from Margaret Mannchen, pass card for the Vanway Recycling Depot and Transfer Station.
4. Committee reports
Education and Public Outreach Committee:
Robin will be contacting the Elementary and Secondary School Curriculum Directors with an offer to assist them with the Astronomy portion of their Science program. Assistance would come in the form of using the Skyways publication in a training seminar for educators and would be held at the observatory.
Brian gave a rundown on the New Observers to Visual Astronomy (NOVA) program. To this date, 10 people have registered. The Beginners Observers Guide and AAVSO manual will be included as course material. Spiral bound RASC Visual Observing Log sheets will be available for $5 and laminated Star Charts for $18.
Youth day activities:
Among other activities, Robin and Wayne will be showing part of the Celestial Sphere video and demonstrating how a mini spectroscope displays different wavelengths of light.
5. Old Business
- Gaming grant status: We are listed on the Gaming Commission’s web site that lists grants that are in progress.
- TELUS grant status: Information that TELUS will NOT be supporting our grant application was received the day after this meeting.
- Noise Reduction in Classroom
Several ideas were ‘bounced’ around on ways to reduce noise in the classroom. Maurice will research different acoustic materials to mitigate the noise problem.
6. New Business
- John volunteered his wife Donna to see what can be done to improve the decor and ambiance of the classroom.
- John will be unable to attend the National Council meeting on February 26, 2005 in Toronto. An alternate was requested.
- Maurice will draft up a mount for the Laser pointer.
Jan 22: NOVA workshop 7:30 pm Observatory
Jan 26: General Meeting 7:30 pm Observatory
Next general meeting:
Main Talk: Wayne – image processing using AIP4WIN
Motion to adjourn by: Glen
Seconded by: Brian
Adjourned at 9:07 p.m.