2002-02-13

ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY OF CANADA
PRINCE GEORGE CENTRE
7365 Tedford Road
Prince George, BC
V2N 6S2

Executive Meeting Minutes

Date: February 13, 2002
Location: #30 – 1839 1st Ave Prince George, BC

Chairperson: Brian Battersby
Recording Secretary: Glen Harris
Executives Present: Glen Harris, Brian Battersby, Gil Self, Rod Herd
Members Present: Maurice Sluka

Time Meeting Called to Order: 7:00 p.m.

1. Previous Meeting Minutes
Meeting minutes from Jan. 16, 2001 were circulated

Motion to accept minutes as circulated by: Gil
Seconded by: Maurice

2. Treasurers Report
Unavailable – Brian forwarded about $93 in cash and cheques to Rod.
Total cash- $ 232.00
Cheques in-$ 79.20
Total $ 311.20

Bills- Porter McMillan Insurance $712.38
BCHydro $ 78.27
BCGas $ 312.21
Telus $ 175.69
Starlight Theatre (Video) $ 56.00
Total $1334.55

3. Correspondence

  • Bill from Porter McMillan
  • Bill from Starlight Theatre for $56.00
  • Letter from Regional District saying that the rezoning has gone through and that the developed will be required to put a covenant on the land restricting the light pollution.
  • Email from Girl Guides of Northern BC. They will be having a Science and Technology Sleepover and want to come to the Observatory on June 1, 2002
  • Various RASC emails: Centre Treasurer Manual, New Members List, Member Information Changes Report, Centre Current Membership List, Membership Revenue Processed in Jan. 2002 report.

4. Old Business

  • Shroud – is on. Looks good just need the end cap. The scope is susceptible to the effects of the wind, but closing the dome up as much as possible lessens the effect when taking CCD images. The effect on normal viewing is minimal.
  • Telus Grant Application: Gil found a video system for $595 US.
  • Celestial Sphere Video: the replacement video has arrived.
  • Holding Tank: Jon submitted the rest of the paperwork. It would seem that all is well. Jon was told that if there was a problem the Regional District would be in touch… they never contacted him.
  • National Representative – no one has stepped forward to take the job.

5. New Business

  • Brian is looking into the effect of joining the RASC on our name, society status etc. He has sent an email to Bonnie at RASC HQ to see what she knows – no response as of yet. Brian will also email the society registrar and see what they say.
  • Brian found a form on the BC Gov. page saying that if we change directors in the middle of the year we need to submit a “Notice of Changes In Directors Other Than At An Annual General Meeting” form along with $15.00
  • Does anyone know if we filed the Annual Report with the BC Government this year?
  • Now that we have more than one-person running members night Brian was thinking of making one Saturday a month a “rain or shine” members night. This would enable members to view the clubs videos, pick up books, collimate their scopes, etc. at the observatory without delaying a regular meeting. This would also provide more social time for members. Brian is willing to run these nights. They would occur the 2nd Saturday of the month.

5. New Business (cont’d)

  • A lengthy discussion revolved around the ramifications of changing the name of the club from the PGAS to the RASC-PG Centre and how it would affect applying for provincial grants. This item was tabled and will be brought up again once more information has been gathered.
  • Also discussed was our precarious financial situation, and what bills should be paid first. The financial records will be handed over from Paul to Rod this weekend, and once there is a clear picture of how much money is in the bank, the utilities will be paid in full, and some kind of deal with Porter McMillan will be brokered.
  • Gil will draft a letter that Glen will submit to TELUS as a grant application for the video system agreed upon.

Next meeting:
Constellation of the Month: cancelled due to the length of the video.

Main Talk: video “The Celestial Sphere” This would be an excellent time for all the newer members to attend and learn some basic concepts. Runs about 50 min.

6. Adjournment
Motion to adjourn by: Gil
Seconded by: Rod

Adjourned at 8:30 p.m.