PRINCE GEORGE CENTRE
7365 Tedford Road
Prince George, BC
General Meeting Minutes
Date: January 30, 2002
Location: 7365 Tedford Rd. Prince George – PGAO
Chairperson: Brian Battersby
Recording Secretary: Glen Harris
Executives Present: Rob Frith, Brian Battersby, Glen Harris, Kane Sanders, Pete Wyper, Gil Self
Members Present: Gerhard Bierman, Rod Herd, Judy Wyper, Maurice Sluka, Steve Senger
Time Meeting Called to Order: 7:46 p.m.
1. Previous Meeting Minutes
Meeting minutes from November 28th were circulated.
Motion to accept minutes as circulated by: Gil Self
Seconded by: Kane Sanders
2. Treasurers Report
Not Available. Brian paid $200 to Porter McMillan Insurance from the cash from the calendar sales. Brian has about $67.45 in cash on hand. So far the calendars have brought in $681.50 at a cost of $441.38. Most of the money has been spent on the scope shroud and insurance.
Paul has resigned as Treasurer. Rod Herd has accepted the appointment to the position (as per our constitution). A big thank you to Paul for doing a great job under a difficult situation.
Various RASC reports and correspondence from the last month. Most interesting is probably the membership fees. At the General Assembly they will be putting a motion forward to “de-couple” the National fees from the Centre fees. To be a member of a Centre you must be a member of National but the two fees would now be independently set, with the Centre fee being set by the Centre in question.
4. Old Business
- Contest Committee: Judy reported that due to the teacher’s job action, she had been unable to make any progress. Now that the dispute appears to be over, Judy stated that she would resume her efforts. The idea of a contest to name the observatory has been dropped, but the possibility of being involved in the school Science Fair is being explored.
- Messier Marathon: Date: March 16, 2002 Time: 6:00 p.m. Location: Baldy Hughes
- Meet at the bottom of the hill and we’ll convoy up. The upper gate will be locked after everybody is up on top, to prevent other people from driving up the hill and affecting our night vision. Locking the gate was also a stipulation when permission was granted to use this location. My understanding is that the gate is only a couple of hundred meters from the top, so if you are late, you could probably hike up to the site and get the key.
- Shroud for the 24” Telescope. The main shroud is almost complete, and the final adjustments are being made.
- The ‘Guide to the Celestial Sphere’ video arrived, but had to be sent back as it was defective. A replacement is ‘in the mail’. The total bill is for $56.00 (We have public presentation rights.)
5. New Business
This is the volunteer list for hosting the Saturday member’s nights in February.
Feb. 2 Rod Herd
Feb. 9 Kane Sanders
Feb.16 Glen Harris
Feb. 23 Brian Battersby
The sign-up sheet for people volunteering to run Friday Night Open Houses in March is
Date: Leader: Helper:
Mar. 1 Brian Glen, Judy, Pete, Rod
Mar. 8 Rob Glen
Mar. 15 Gil Glen, Rod
Mar. 22 Steve Glen, Maurice
Mar. 29 Rob Glen, Rod
Brian would like a contact list of people willing to be tour leaders and tour helpers so that when a tour is coming up he can just phone some people and ask them to do it rather than rely on blanket email asking for volunteers.
Those that volunteered as tour leaders are Brian, Gil, and Steve.
Those that volunteered as tour helpers are Maurice, Judy, and Kane.
- National would like us to appoint a National Representative to fill in for Bob. This person would act as the liaison between National and the club, passing along information from national meetings as well as attending National meetings when possible. If you are interested in volunteering let Brian know.
- The mailbox keys were given to Brian and Rod. If you are receiving any PGAS mail, please have it redirected to the new address that appears at the beginning of these minutes. Change of address forms is available at the post office.
- The general meetings will begin at 7:00 p.m. from now on and will continue to be held at the observatory on Tedford Road.
- We welcome Benjamin Daigle to the club, and hope to see you at the observatory soon.
Motion to adjourn by: Kane
Seconded by: Glen
Time adjourned 8:30 p.m.
Constellation of the Month: Cancer By Kane Sanders
Other: Video: Plugged In! Episode featuring the RASC: P. G. Centre
with Brian Battersby