2002-01-16

ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY OF CANADA
PRINCE GEORGE CENTRE
7365 Tedford Road
Prince George, BC
V2N 6S2

Executive Meeting Minutes

Date: January 16, 2002
Location: #30 – 1839 1st Ave Prince George, BC

Chairperson: Brian Battersby
Recording Secretary: Glen Harris
Executives Present: Brian Battersby, Gil Self, Rob Frith, Kane Sanders, Glen Harris
Members Present: Judy Wyper

Time Meeting Called to Order:
7:40 p.m.

1. Previous Meeting Minutes
Meeting minutes from Nov. 14, 2001 were circulated.
Motion to accept minutes as circulated by: Gil Seconded by: Kane

2. Treasurers Report
Unavailable – Paul deposited approx. $440 in December and Brian has another $158.65 in cash on hand.

Due to the complexities of handling the club’s finances from Alberta, Paul has requested dismissal from his function as the club treasurer. A new treasurer will be appointed at the general meeting on January 30th. The club is certainly appreciative of your efforts Paul, to minister your position remotely, and we hope to see you at the observatory when you have the time.

3. Correspondence
Various RASC emails including membership reports, info on the CASCA’s long-range
plan; invite to the next national Council Meeting Jan 26, 2002 in Toronto.

4. Old Business
Contest Committee

  • The ‘Name the Observatory’ contest idea has been abandoned.
  • Judy will contact the Director of Education (Bonnie) for SD57 and ask about the possibility of the club’s involvement in the elementary school science fair. The club could possibly award a trophy to the student displaying the best astronomy project.

ACTION ITEM: JUDY to report on her progress at the next executive meeting.

  • Shroud – Laurie has not started it yet. Now that the holidays are over it should be done soon. (Brian gave her a deadline of next meeting, Jan 30, 2002.)
  • Telus Grant Application: Gil is looking into prices for a video camera and light intensifier, and will try to get a price through his contact in Williams Lake. The plan is to assess the condition of the Celestron scope, and if it can be properly collimated, mount it c/w the video camera and light intensifier, on the big scope. A live video feed could then be transmitted to a monitor in the classroom.
  • ACTION ITEM: GIL to have a firm price by the next executive meeting.
  • Members book – Kane’s report.
  • Brian B has submitted one set of procedures.
  • ACTION ITEM: GIL to modify the dome and 24” scope operating procedures and submit to Kane by the next executive meeting.

5. New Business

  • Glen has issued a $300 charitable receipt to Tom Laing for his donation of clearing snow from the observatory parking lot.
  • Regional District: the holding tank paperwork was never finalized. Jon B is working on correcting the trouble.
  • Glen has sent David George of Spee-Dee Printers a thank-you card for letting us sell our calendars from his store.
  • Glen submits the following item.
  • A postal box has been procured for the observatory. The club’s new mailing address is:

Prince George Astronomical Society
7365 Tedford Road
Prince George B.C. V2N 6S2

  • The box is located on Angus Road off Blackwater Road and is Module 3 Compartment 14.
  • Unfortunately, Canada Post will not screen CNC’s mail and forward our mail to the new address, so it will be necessary for everyone concerned to change the address of any mail they receive on PGAS’ behalf, to the new address. I had to do a title search at the Land Registry Office to satisfy Canada Post’s requirements, and at this time I don’t know if LTO will be issuing a bill for approximately $10.50 or not. A change of address has been e-mailed to the RASC.
  • The start time of future executive meetings has been moved to 7:00 p.m.
  • Messier site:
  • Glen has looked into the acceptability of two sites south of town. Both the Telus site and the forestry site at Stoner are unacceptable due to the height of trees blocking the southern exposure. In talking to someone from the Telus Antenna crew, it appears that Baldy Hughes is the best local site, although Fraser Mountain is an alternative. Access road conditions could pose a problem at both sites.
  • ACTION ITEM: GLEN will look into getting access permission and a gate key for Baldy Hughes if this site is acceptable to everyone.

Next meeting:
Video: “Plugged In!” segment on Observatory
Constellation of the Month: Kane
Main Talk: Measuring with Parallax or observing if it’s a clear night.

6. Adjournment
Motion to adjourn at: 9:15 p.m.
By: Rob F.