2001-10-17

ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY OF CANADA
PRINCE GEORGE CHAPTER
7765 Tedford Road
Prince George, BC
V2L 4S6

October 17, 2001 Executive Meeting Minutes

Meeting held at #30-1839 1st Avenue

Present: Brian Battersby Gil Self Kane Sanders Glen Harris
Chairperson: Brian Battersby
Recording Secretary: Glen Harris

Meeting called to Order at 7:40 p.m.

1. No meeting minutes from the September executive meeting were available.

2. Treasurer’s Report Submitted by Brian
Present Balance as of September 30, 2001 is approximately $1073.99
No motion to accept the treasurer’s report was made.

3. Correspondence

  • From the National Observing Committee of the RASC- Information about the ‘Explore the Universe’ Observing Certificate Program. A discussion followed regarding the implementation of a similar program within the club, with club certificates issued for various observing achievements. No action item at this time.
  • Information from the Astronomical Society of the Pacific regarding their award system to persons worthy.
  • Motion: To nominate Bob Nelson as a candidate.
  • Moved: Gil Seconded: Kane Carried
  • ACTION ITEM: This item is to be carried forward to the next executive meeting, with Gil possibly approaching Orla Aaquist for assistance in preparing the submission. The deadline for submission is mid December.
  • Mark Kaye of the RASC will be doing a presentation for the club and interested members of the public in February 2001. Gil suggested that a club generated Power Point presentation could be used as a warm-up to Mark’s presentation.
  • ACTION ITEM: Kane is to look into the feasibility of using a lecture hall at CNC.
  • From Kris Peterson- a proposal to include the club telescope in a network of global observatories for use online by the public. Our facilities are not presently equipped to do this. There was a lot of skepticism about the use of our scope for this purpose.

4. Old Business

  • Locks for the club lockers have been purchased and installed.
  • The videocassette ‘Your Guide to the Celestial Sphere’ is still back ordered.
  • Work Bee items completed in September were:
  • Installation of the parking area fence
  • Winterizing of the Warm Room
  • Cleanup of the small rooms
  • Repairing the roof vent
  • Gil to present Constellation of the month for October.

5. New Business

  • Motion: To reimburse Glen for money spent on clubhouse improvements.
  • Moved: Gil Seconded: Kane Carried
  • ACTION ITEM: Glen to provide receipts.
  • ACTION ITEM: Glen to investigate possibility of lower phone rates for the club phone.
  • Fae Mooney has volunteered to write astronomy-related articles for the newspaper. It was suggested that any article by any author be submitted to Gil for editing and accuracy. Gil would then submit the article to the newspaper, with the proviso that both the author AND the PGAS are mentioned in the byline.
  • ACTION ITEM: Gil to work on implementing the newspaper article procedure.
  • Motion: To set up a Messier (or NGC) Marathon night to be held in the spring of 2002.
  • Moved: Kane Seconded: Gil Carried
  • The RASC has web based forms for documenting the observations.
  • A discussion centered on a certification process for using various pieces of equipment at the observatory.
  • ACTION ITEM: Kane to come up with some ideas for the process.
  • The 24” scope needs to be rebalanced. A work detail has been scheduled for November 4, 2001. This date will provide time to mention this activity at the general meeting.
  • Regular maintenance needs to be scheduled on the 24” scope. A tentative date of June 17, 2002 was put forward. Maintenance would include balancing, mirror cleaning, drive lubrication, etc.
  • The existing Messier Observation Sheet on the hall wall needs to be replaced.
  • ACTION ITEM: Glen to build a spreadsheet capable of documenting existing data and providing space for additional observers.
  • There was a discussion regarding the placement of the C8 telescope c/w camera onto the main scope once funding was available for the purchase of the camera.

New business continued:

  • The orange scope is thrashed and in dire need of repair. No decision was made on how to accomplish this.
  • Distribution of the general meeting minutes to out of town members was discussed.
  • ACTION ITEM: Glen to mail the minutes only to out of town members who don’t have email addresses.
  • As a member of the executive, Kane is keen on implementing ‘club projects’.
  • ACTION ITEM: Kane to put forward some suggestions for club activities.
  • An update on the gaming grant application and the Home Hardware account is needed.
  • ACTION ITEM: Brian has emailed Paul with a request to provide an up to date report on the club’s finances for presentation at the October general meeting.
  • Motion to adjourn: Gil

Meeting adjourned at 9:15 p.m.

Minutes revised 2001/10/18