Monthly Archives: January 2002

2002-01-30

ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY OF CANADA
PRINCE GEORGE CENTRE
7365 Tedford Road
Prince George, BC
V2L 4S6

General Meeting Minutes

Date: January 30, 2002
Location: 7365 Tedford Rd. Prince George – PGAO

Chairperson: Brian Battersby
Recording Secretary: Glen Harris
Executives Present: Rob Frith, Brian Battersby, Glen Harris, Kane Sanders, Pete Wyper, Gil Self
Members Present: Gerhard Bierman, Rod Herd, Judy Wyper, Maurice Sluka, Steve Senger

Time Meeting Called to Order: 7:46 p.m.

1. Previous Meeting Minutes
Meeting minutes from November 28th were circulated.

Motion to accept minutes as circulated by: Gil Self
Seconded by: Kane Sanders

2. Treasurers Report
Not Available. Brian paid $200 to Porter McMillan Insurance from the cash from the calendar sales. Brian has about $67.45 in cash on hand. So far the calendars have brought in $681.50 at a cost of $441.38. Most of the money has been spent on the scope shroud and insurance.

Paul has resigned as Treasurer. Rod Herd has accepted the appointment to the position (as per our constitution). A big thank you to Paul for doing a great job under a difficult situation.

3. Correspondence
Various RASC reports and correspondence from the last month. Most interesting is probably the membership fees. At the General Assembly they will be putting a motion forward to “de-couple” the National fees from the Centre fees. To be a member of a Centre you must be a member of National but the two fees would now be independently set, with the Centre fee being set by the Centre in question.

4. Old Business

  • Contest Committee: Judy reported that due to the teacher’s job action, she had been unable to make any progress. Now that the dispute appears to be over, Judy stated that she would resume her efforts. The idea of a contest to name the observatory has been dropped, but the possibility of being involved in the school Science Fair is being explored.
  • Messier Marathon: Date: March 16, 2002 Time: 6:00 p.m. Location: Baldy Hughes
  • Meet at the bottom of the hill and we’ll convoy up. The upper gate will be locked after everybody is up on top, to prevent other people from driving up the hill and affecting our night vision. Locking the gate was also a stipulation when permission was granted to use this location. My understanding is that the gate is only a couple of hundred meters from the top, so if you are late, you could probably hike up to the site and get the key.
  • Shroud for the 24” Telescope. The main shroud is almost complete, and the final adjustments are being made.
  • The ‘Guide to the Celestial Sphere’ video arrived, but had to be sent back as it was defective. A replacement is ‘in the mail’. The total bill is for $56.00 (We have public presentation rights.)

5. New Business
This is the volunteer list for hosting the Saturday member’s nights in February.
Date: Host:

Feb. 2 Rod Herd
Feb. 9 Kane Sanders
Feb.16 Glen Harris
Feb. 23 Brian Battersby

The sign-up sheet for people volunteering to run Friday Night Open Houses in March is
as follows.
Date: Leader: Helper:
Mar. 1 Brian Glen, Judy, Pete, Rod
Mar. 8 Rob Glen
Mar. 15 Gil Glen, Rod
Mar. 22 Steve Glen, Maurice
Mar. 29 Rob Glen, Rod
Brian would like a contact list of people willing to be tour leaders and tour helpers so that when a tour is coming up he can just phone some people and ask them to do it rather than rely on blanket email asking for volunteers.

Those that volunteered as tour leaders are Brian, Gil, and Steve.
Those that volunteered as tour helpers are Maurice, Judy, and Kane.

  • National would like us to appoint a National Representative to fill in for Bob. This person would act as the liaison between National and the club, passing along information from national meetings as well as attending National meetings when possible. If you are interested in volunteering let Brian know.
  • The mailbox keys were given to Brian and Rod. If you are receiving any PGAS mail, please have it redirected to the new address that appears at the beginning of these minutes. Change of address forms is available at the post office.
  • The general meetings will begin at 7:00 p.m. from now on and will continue to be held at the observatory on Tedford Road.
  • We welcome Benjamin Daigle to the club, and hope to see you at the observatory soon.

6. Adjournment
Motion to adjourn by: Kane
Seconded by: Glen
Time adjourned 8:30 p.m.

Presentations:
Constellation of the Month: Cancer  By Kane Sanders

Other: Video: Plugged In! Episode featuring the RASC: P. G. Centre
with Brian Battersby

2002-01-16

ROYAL ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY OF CANADA
PRINCE GEORGE CENTRE
7365 Tedford Road
Prince George, BC
V2N 6S2

Executive Meeting Minutes

Date: January 16, 2002
Location: #30 – 1839 1st Ave Prince George, BC

Chairperson: Brian Battersby
Recording Secretary: Glen Harris
Executives Present: Brian Battersby, Gil Self, Rob Frith, Kane Sanders, Glen Harris
Members Present: Judy Wyper

Time Meeting Called to Order:
7:40 p.m.

1. Previous Meeting Minutes
Meeting minutes from Nov. 14, 2001 were circulated.
Motion to accept minutes as circulated by: Gil Seconded by: Kane

2. Treasurers Report
Unavailable – Paul deposited approx. $440 in December and Brian has another $158.65 in cash on hand.

Due to the complexities of handling the club’s finances from Alberta, Paul has requested dismissal from his function as the club treasurer. A new treasurer will be appointed at the general meeting on January 30th. The club is certainly appreciative of your efforts Paul, to minister your position remotely, and we hope to see you at the observatory when you have the time.

3. Correspondence
Various RASC emails including membership reports, info on the CASCA’s long-range
plan; invite to the next national Council Meeting Jan 26, 2002 in Toronto.

4. Old Business
Contest Committee

  • The ‘Name the Observatory’ contest idea has been abandoned.
  • Judy will contact the Director of Education (Bonnie) for SD57 and ask about the possibility of the club’s involvement in the elementary school science fair. The club could possibly award a trophy to the student displaying the best astronomy project.

ACTION ITEM: JUDY to report on her progress at the next executive meeting.

  • Shroud – Laurie has not started it yet. Now that the holidays are over it should be done soon. (Brian gave her a deadline of next meeting, Jan 30, 2002.)
  • Telus Grant Application: Gil is looking into prices for a video camera and light intensifier, and will try to get a price through his contact in Williams Lake. The plan is to assess the condition of the Celestron scope, and if it can be properly collimated, mount it c/w the video camera and light intensifier, on the big scope. A live video feed could then be transmitted to a monitor in the classroom.
  • ACTION ITEM: GIL to have a firm price by the next executive meeting.
  • Members book – Kane’s report.
  • Brian B has submitted one set of procedures.
  • ACTION ITEM: GIL to modify the dome and 24” scope operating procedures and submit to Kane by the next executive meeting.

5. New Business

  • Glen has issued a $300 charitable receipt to Tom Laing for his donation of clearing snow from the observatory parking lot.
  • Regional District: the holding tank paperwork was never finalized. Jon B is working on correcting the trouble.
  • Glen has sent David George of Spee-Dee Printers a thank-you card for letting us sell our calendars from his store.
  • Glen submits the following item.
  • A postal box has been procured for the observatory. The club’s new mailing address is:

Prince George Astronomical Society
7365 Tedford Road
Prince George B.C. V2N 6S2

  • The box is located on Angus Road off Blackwater Road and is Module 3 Compartment 14.
  • Unfortunately, Canada Post will not screen CNC’s mail and forward our mail to the new address, so it will be necessary for everyone concerned to change the address of any mail they receive on PGAS’ behalf, to the new address. I had to do a title search at the Land Registry Office to satisfy Canada Post’s requirements, and at this time I don’t know if LTO will be issuing a bill for approximately $10.50 or not. A change of address has been e-mailed to the RASC.
  • The start time of future executive meetings has been moved to 7:00 p.m.
  • Messier site:
  • Glen has looked into the acceptability of two sites south of town. Both the Telus site and the forestry site at Stoner are unacceptable due to the height of trees blocking the southern exposure. In talking to someone from the Telus Antenna crew, it appears that Baldy Hughes is the best local site, although Fraser Mountain is an alternative. Access road conditions could pose a problem at both sites.
  • ACTION ITEM: GLEN will look into getting access permission and a gate key for Baldy Hughes if this site is acceptable to everyone.

Next meeting:
Video: “Plugged In!” segment on Observatory
Constellation of the Month: Kane
Main Talk: Measuring with Parallax or observing if it’s a clear night.

6. Adjournment
Motion to adjourn at: 9:15 p.m.
By: Rob F.